I am the creative behind Build Your Best Year. My goal is to help you build your best year by providing you with templates, tools, tips and hacks so you can focus your energy on the part of business you absolutely love.

When you’re running a business and balancing a family, time is always tight. Ready to grow your business with less time?

i'm Vicki

California born and Michigan raised

hey there!

Canva Tips

Pinterest Tips

Website Tips

Biz tips

Biz Tips

Why Business Planning Is The Secret To Success in 2021

1. Hi Vicki. I agree with you. Without putting any plans in action there is no way in reaching ones goal. The one things however holding me back is time. Sometimes I struggle with being a wife, mother, working full-time and growing my blog along the side.

• vpatton1 says:

Leana, I can relate completely with feeling like I don’t have a lot of time. I only focus on 1-2 things to finish for the week. I find that I am able to get more done if I just focus on 1-2 things. I think when I first started I put a lot on myself to get business stuff done that I made goals that weren’t realistic for my life. They looked good on paper and were ideal for my dream to succeed but not for my realistic life. I also schedule out all the important areas of life first. I am a stay at home mom but it’s important that I take my daughter out and we do things. That gets scheduled before work. I get to ‘fill my cup up’ with spending time with my daughter and I allow myself to be in the moment with that because I know what I am working on for the week and I have scheduled time to do it so I know it will get done. Before when I didn’t business plan or would put to much on my plate that would stress me out. I literally took almost a whole month to plan and get my business together and it is the best thing for my sanity!

2. Julie says:

Plan plan plan plan and some more planning is the key to success. Then setting the small goals to help you achieve them and stay motivated.

I could not agree with you more, you can always review and adjust your plan and goals as you go along.

• vpatton1 says:

Exactly Julie! I set an overall yearly plan but as the months go on it always gets tweaked. I fine-tune it and it’s better than what I had better and aligned with the direction I am going.

3. Tina Barnes says:

I completely agree that business planning is the secret sauce to success. Also if I don’t have a plan I am all of the place or not focusing on my business in the most effective way. I like that! Ask myself, ‘what can I do that will make me money today?’

4. I am guilty of this, I am over the place. I feel like I have a lot to do and no much time to do it all. But when I do create a plan, I get more done than I thought I would. I really need to work on planning. Thanks for sharing.

5. Hi Vicki,

Thank you for this post, I am totally guilty of not doing this. I have recently started to write things down like tasks to do, but I need to have a better goal plan in mind for sure. I love the daily affirmations you included in the post. I definitely need to write those down next to my goal plan so I can be sure and meet my goals. Thanks for the push I needed!

-Heather

6. Karmen says:

Oh, I used to plan everything, but now, I just can’t seem to do it anymore. I wish the day has more then 24 hours sometimes 😂 And I am to much of a control freak to get an assistant. I really need to figure this out.

7. aisasami says:

My dad has been nagging for me to set up a business plan for my blog. I should do that for 2020.

8. Nicole Steyn says:

I love planning! But I’m terrible with setting goals and sticking to them. Thank your for sharing all these great tips. Will definitely put them into action when I do my planning for 2020!

9. Vidya Sury says:

While I don’t exactly make business goals, I do set myself tentative goals for what I plan to accomplish. I then break it down into quarters, months and weeks so that I can stay on track. Of course, I’d be the first to acknowledge that affirmations work to keep us motivated. Also, writing down goals is one of the most effective ways to stay on track – especially when we revisit periodically to monitor how we’re doing. I like your explanation for why write goals, Vicki. If we are to make any progress, regular assessments are crucial. Every little step of the way, this motivates us to keep going. One of my favorite quotes about goals is this one: If you don’t know where you are going, any road will take you there. I found your post inspiring!